Saturday, October 24, 2009

Getting the Job Done

Wow, I was thrilled to run into Dave Zinzenko and Dan Abrams last night. They are both doing really well of course, and with everyone they meet, I can never get over the fact that they always remember me, are always gracious and seriously want to know how I am.

I am so saddened by the passing of the amazingly comedic Soupy Sales. These guys really have class.

I spent more time with my friend Carolanne tonight and she has so many insights on how to better organize my personal life and my business. It’s fun to listen to a young 20 something who is really excited and has a zest for her career. Her drive to succeed kinda reminds me of me. Back in the day, there wasn't anything I wouldn't do for a client. I still go above and beyond all the times but the early 90's was different. There were no computers, no cell phone and only a typewriter and white out, and car to get where you needed to be. So the "above and beyond" was truly a lot more. If you know me, you remember my breaking into a clients home after climbing over an iron fence, sliding down a dry, non-mowed lawn, climbing up a ladder that I found in the garage, and throwing rocks at the window as well as knocking very loudly till the client drowsily comes to the window, cracks it wide enough for me to get pulled in, only to say "hey, what are you doing here" as if he didn't notice the limo sitting outside his home for hours to take him to a cover shoot. Now with text, blackberry messenger, cell phone, email, it’s easier and quicker to find someone and the adventures in PR land are well, just different. At least now I don't get splinters in strange places. But when that cover came out, it didn't matter how crazy it seemed at the time, it was a PR adventure I remember forever.

I've got a lot of those stories, and they all helped me become the strong, well-rounded publicist that I am. Everything I have learned and all that I teach and encourage my team, is that you can always do more. To ask yourself, "What aren't you doing?" "What makes the client most comfortable?" and "How do you foster the relationship over time in continuing to not only establish the brand but grow it as well?" PR isn't easy, and truly not everyone can do it. But when I walked back that day into my office with blades of dry grass stuck to my pants and in my hair and clothing, I knew my mission was accomplished, he got his cover and he got the recognition he deserved. And after that, I knew that there was nothing that could faze me. I had learned that protecting the brand from himself and others from time to time can be as, if not more important than promoting it.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment